(Patna College since 1863)
The Bachelor of Computer Applications (Honours) degree course shall cover a period of three academic years. The duration of the session will be from July to May each Year.
(i) Candidates seeking admission to the first year of the degree of Bachelor of Computer Applications will be required to have passed with a minimum of 55% marks for General Category and 45% for Reserved Category of Students in the intermediate Examination in Arts / Science / Commerce of a Board / University established or incorporated by law or any other examination recognized by Patna University as Equivalent There to –
(ii) Admission to the B.A. (H) in Computer Applications course will be made on the basis of Merit list prepared on the basis of entrance test and vice-voce examination to be conducted by the College / Department.
(iii) The reservation of seats will be as per rules of the state Government / Patna University for S.C., S.T. and OBC. Categories of students. All candidates seeking admission to the B.A. (H)in Computer Applications course will have to pay the full fee as presented in the regulations or modified from time to time under the provision of the regulations.
(iv) Candidates who are appearing for qualifying examination for the current academic year are also eligible to apply subject to the condition that they produce the proof of having passed the qualifying examination at the time of admission.
(v) Applicants must have sound knowledge of Mathematics.
(vi) Provisional admission is granted for a period of 15 days only. Fee once paid will not be refunded. Those who leave afterwards will have to pay the fee for the entire course (i.e. of 3 years). Only those who wish to complete the course are advised to apply.
At present the number of seats in B.A. (Honours) in Computer Applications Course is thirty (30 )
Students desiring to seek admission in B.A. (Honours) in Computer Applications Course may submit their application forms in the following manner
1. They may obtain the Prospectus-cum-application form by hand from college counter by Cash on payment of Rs. 500/- (Five hundred rupees) from 11.00 am to 4.00 pm on any working days.
2. The admit card will be issued from the counter or the college.
3. The Complete filled in application form along with necessary documents may be submitted in the College Counter or to
(B.A. (H) in Computer Applications Programme),
Patna College Patna University, Patna- 800 005
Admission will be made on the basis of marks obtained at the Entrance Test followed by Viva-Voce Examination conducted by the college / department. The Entrance test will have multiple choice i.e. objective type of questions. The duration of the test will be of two hours. It will be followed by an interview with the candidates.
The test will consist of
(i) English Language/Grammer
(ii) General Arithmatic/Mathematics
(iii) Aptitude Assessment/ Test of Reasoning
(iv) General Awareness/ General Knowledge
Structure of the Course:-
A candidate for the examination shall be required to offer the papers according to the following structure.
I. Computer Fundamentals and Organization
II. Office Automation
III. Programming Techniques and C Programming
IV. Business Data Processing and Cobol Programming
Any two of the following subsidiary papers:
(a) Mathematics I (b) Statistics I (c) Economics I
V. Data Base Management system and Foxpro Programming
VI. Information System and Visual Basic
VII. Operating System and Unix
VIII. Object Oriented Programming and C++ Programming
Any two of the following subsidiary papers:
(a) Mathematics II (b) Statistics II (c) Economics II
On the job-training - 3 Months - Compulsory
After the second year examination; each student shall undergo a practical job-training of 3 months in an approved business / industrial / service organization and submit two copies of the Project Report to the Head of the Department at least 15 days before date of commencement of admission of third year.
IX. Advanced DBMS and Oracle POrograming with D2k.
X. Data strure using C++.
XI. Advanced topics in Computer, Java and Internet Programming.
XII. Project Work (On the Job-training)
General Studies : Entrepreneurship Development.
The medium of instruction shall be English / Hindi.
The students who are admitted in B.A. (H.) in Computer Application Course will offer either (Mathematics and Statistics) or (Mathematics and Economics) or (Statistics and Economics) as subsidiary papers in First year and Second year.
As a part of study curriculum, students have to undergo on – the – job-training for three months in any organization or institution approved by the Coordinator. This enables the students to get an opportunity to apply the acquired theoretical knowledge to practical environment. In addition, they get an opportunity to develop Application Software’s for different types of jobs for different clients. The project work carries 100 marks.
Students are expected to join on-the-job-training just after they complete the second year final examinations from mid-May to mid-August.
The department provides facilities of library to every student of B.A. (H.) in Computer Application Course. The students avail library membership. Book will be issued to the students for a period of 7 days on rotation basis.
Areas of Association
All students admitted into B.A. (H.) in Computer Applications Honours Course shall be expected to associate themselves with the following programmes of activities which form part of our academic curriculum.
(i) Classroom lecturers
(ii) Practical Works
(iv) Power Point Presentations
(v) Tutorial assignments
(vii) Debates, Essay and Quiz Competitions
(viii) Annual brief Educational tour to recognized Industrial / Business / Organization / Schools
(ix) Sport events
(x) Campus interviews
(xi) Classes on various computer / management based topics
(xii) Project works
A proper dress code will be maintained both for boys and girls. The students will be informed about it at the time of admission. They are supposed to follow proper dress code in the college campus.
1. The University will hold examination at the end of the first, the second and the third years of course conducted by the University to be known respectively as B.A. (H.) in Computer Applications Honours part I, part II and part III examination.
2. There will be a written examination for each of the theory paper of three hours duration. The medium for the written examination shall be English / Hindi.
3. A student shall not be allowed to appear at the next annual examination unless she / he has passed the previous annual examination.
4. A carry over shall be allowed for failures for a maximum of two subjects at Honours part I and part II examination but such a candidate shall not be admitted to part III class unless she / he has passed in all subjects of part I examination.
5. The marks of each Honours paper shall consist of 40 (15 + 25= 40) marks for internal assessment (based on quizzes, tests, seminars, presentations, workshops, etc.) and external assessment (based on practical works) respectively and 60 marks for University examination in Theory Papers.
6. In order to be declared successful in Honours subject at any of these examinations the candidates shall have to pass the Theory and internal assessment / practical / project work / laboratory works separately with 45% marks. Minimum percentage of marks required for passing in subsidiary papers will be 35%.
7. The percentage of marks required for
1st class – 60% and above in aggregates
2nd class- 45% and above but below 60% in aggregates
Fee Structure for Bachelor in Computer Applications Honours Course
The fee for the B.A. (H.) in Computer Application Course for all students (General and Reserved) shall be charged at the beginning of each academic year.
A course fee of Rs. 11,500/- (Rupees eleven thousand five hundred only) together with an additional fee of Rs. 500/- (Rupees five hundred only) per academic session shall have to be paid by each student admitted to this B.A. (H.) in Computer Applications Course.
The fee structure may be reviewed from time to time by the concerned Principal(s) in Consultation with the Vice-Chancellor, Patna University.